Graemsay is located in the Western approaches to 'Scapa Flow', lying between Stromness on Orkney mainland and the North end of Hoy.
There are two lighthouses, Hoy High to the East and Hoy Low to the West. Both were built & designed by Alan Stevenson of the famous lighthouse engineering family and were commissioned in 1851.
The current population is twenty three permanent residents, including five children aged between 8 and 16yrs who travel daily by ferry to attend school in Stromness
Large parts of the island have been left largely undeveloped and are a haven for many wild plants.
The islands school was closed in 1996 and the islands five children of school age travel daily by boat to attend classes in Stromness,
Most of the island is on mains water which is piped from the island of Hoy though some still have private piped spring water.
There are no shops on the island apart from the post office which opens two hours per day on just three days per week from 07:30 to 09:30 for pensions and postal services.
Mail is collected and delivered on a daily basis, six days per week.
Most folk go over to do a large shop every week or so in the Kirkwall supermarkets though most Stromness shops will take phone orders and deliver to the ferry.